The number one SEO tip should be say something negative about the electronic cigarette or e-juice – it is a guaranteed way of getting both comments and links to your blog from fervent e-cigarette supporters.
No exception is a blog post on the electronic cigarette by Dr Mathew Mintz – currently building up to 20 comments. In the post Dr Mintz ridicules the excellent Health New Zealand website for their defence of the electronic cigarette, stating:
“…the electronic cigarette is dangerously being promoted as safer alternatives to cigarettes that contain tobacco as well as possible aids to smoking cessation. Make no mistake: these products are not safe, in some ways could be riskier than cigarettes, will not be effective smoking cessation aids, and are scarily unregulated by the FDA and far too available in the US.”
Why Dr Mintz is wrong:
– There is already some convincing evidence that the electronic cigarette is safer than the cigarette. Human trials are continuing but there are already some pretty good product assessments, including that of Murray Laugesson, who concluded that they are “very safe relative to cigarettes, and also safe in absolute terms on all measurements we have applied.”
– There is irrefutable evidence that cigarettes are dangerous, with estimates that 1/3 to 1/2 of smokers will die from a smoking related disease. Essentially Dr Mitz is arguing that we should favour a product that we are certain will kill millions over a product that we are pretty certain is safe.
– There is a convincing support for the electronic cigarette from Tobacco Harm Reduction Experts. David Sweanor, for example, stated:
“If there is anyone who believes cigarettes are no more hazardous than e-cigarettes I’d recommend a remedial course in basic sciences.”
Dr Mintz also uses a further ridiculous if common argument:
“Currently, most e-cigarettes are made in China and bought on the internet, where it is very difficult for federal agencies to regulate.”
As we have pointed our before, a huge proportion of our goods are made in China, including a large proportion of medicine. To argue that a good should be banned because it is made in China is not only racist but nonsensical. And what has he got with selling over the internet – does he want to close Amazon down?
Recommending the Alternatives that Don’t Work
It is clear that Dr Mintz is interested in stopping smoking via other methods, stating:
“There is now very good evidence and current guidelines recommend that EVERY smoker interested in quitting be offered medication. This can be in the form of nicotine replacement such as the patch or gum. Pills have be shown to be even more effective and both bupropion and Chantix are available by prescription.”
However, according to Dr Nitzkin only 5% of those who try to give up smoking using smoking cessation aids quit when success rates are measured over a year.
Dr Mintz, however, wants us to try Chantix. While few side effects have been recorded with e-cigarettes, plenty have been reported with Chantix. Here’s what one user reported feeling after trying the drug:
- sleep problems and insomnia
- unusual dreams
- stomach pain
- tired feeling
- unpleasant taste in mouth
By recommending the current state of affairs continue – promoting ineffective nicotine cessations aids or aids which users stop using because of side effects, while continuing to remove the choice of using safer products such as smokeless tobacco, Doctors like this this are essentially recommending that we continue to let smokers die.
I wonder why?