It’s the rallying call of both the Anti-Smoking movement and the Anti-Electronic Cigarette movement.
Think of the children.
It’s also the strongest arguments of an EU lobby calling for an effective ban on e-cigarettes as they are today.
But the play on the fears and emotions of the public ignore some important questions.
- Are children using electronic cigarettes?
- If so, are these children being lead into nicotine usage, or are they children who would otherwise be smoking?
- Who is allowing electronic cigarettes to be sold to children?
E-Cigarette Use by Children in the UK
Fortunately, e-cigarette usage has been carefully measured by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) UK.
I’ve summarised their results in a mini info-graphic.
Share this Image On Your Site
- most children do not use electronic cigarettes
- those few who do are already smokers
- governments allow children to use e-cigarettes
- reputable retailers do not sell to children.
In fact, here in the UK, the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association does not allow any of its 30 plus members to market towards children.
However, government and EU rules DO allow e-cigs to be sold to children, so we are in the curious position of being attacked for something the government allows, but retailers do not.
Anti E-Cigarette Bodies Push For Sales to Children, Protect Big Tobacco and Big Pharm Sales
Worse that, some bodies calling for ecigs are campaigning against bans on children.
Cancer America explicitly stated:
it [blocking sales of e-cigarettes to children] sets the stage for tobacco companies to claim they are protecting children via this legislation…
Or in other words, if children are allowed to use e-cigs, organisations like Cancer America can claim that e-cigarettes are a gateway to smoking for children, which supports their efforts for a ban on e-cigarettes.
Naturally, if e-cigarettes are banned, or if access is limited to e-cigarettes, there will be only two winners.
The big pharmaceutical companies that sell stop smoking products.
And the big tobacco companies that sell tobacco cigarettes.
So what’s the shocking truth?
The shocking truth is that while that e-cigarette companies are being attacked for selling e-cigarettes to children despite the fact:
- the only children using them are smokers
- the industry is trying to prevent children using e-cigarettes
- government allow children to use e-cigarettes
- at least one anti-ecigarette body is actively blocking legislation aimed at stopping children from using e-cigarettes
Find this post useful? Please share using one of the buttons below.