Action on Smoking and Health Claims
ASH.org makes some extreme claims on their website.
1. That 30 minutes of exposure to drifting tobacco smoke can trigger a fatal heart attack.
2. That E Cigarettes pose dangers for both smokers and non-smokers.
3. That third hand smoke can pose serious risks for smokers.
4. That smoker’s breath can be harmful to health.
These claims are no joke.
Use of the Claims
They have been used to:
- enforce a system of discrimination against smokers, with smokers (not smoking) being barred from hospital waiting rooms
- as support for separating parents from their children
- to bar smokers from becoming foster parents
- to prevent smokers from seeing their children even when they smoke outside
- as support for arguments for a ban against electronic cigarettes – an alternative to a product which kills over 400,000 Americans and over 100,000 Brits per year
Under the Microscope
With such serious consequences, you would think that there would be equally serious and scientific evidence to back up the data.
Not so, according to the three scientists who examined the claims.
All three are distinguished Professors of Medicine with years of experience in their field.
Image Used was from Dick Puddleton: Smoker Apartheid Has Arrived
Like this post? Keep up to date with us by signing up for our email updates.