Tenessee to ban vegetables

You’d better not use a vegetable in Tenessee – unless it has been approved as a medical device.

The state aims to ban anything which has got nicotine in it:

It is an offense to distribute or sell any product or device containing or delivering nicotine intended or expected for human consumption that is not a tobacco product, as defined in § 39-17-1503, unless such product or device has been approved by the United States food and drug administration for sale as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction product or for other medical purposes and is being marketed and sold solely for that approved purpose.

Source now sadly removed :(

The only problem being that many vegetables contain nicotine:

Using limited data on nicotine content of foodstuffs (tea, tomato, potato, green pepper, and eggplant) and the 198991 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals (CSDII), the absorbed dose of nicotine is shown to be significant compared to present day environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) nicotine exposures.

Source: Riskworld

This is going to really annoy vegetarians!

A mother showing vegetables to her daughter.

See this, darling? I never want you to touch it – ever. Mummy used to do vegetables, and it’s a filthy, addictive habit which took me years to stop. Now let’s go and have a nice mars bar!

(I’d love to take the credit for spotting this, but in fact it was in Bill Godshall’s regular THR email update.)

Tags: ,

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Tenessee to ban vegetables”

1. jimmie traylor March 24, 2011 at 2:08 am #

I love tomatoes,tea,and potatoes. Since they are now illegal in Tennessee,I guess I will not be able to make my Spring trip to Memphis.

Oh,yes, I have quit smoking by using an ecig. You need to do some research. It is not the nicotine that creates health problems for the consumer or those near them,but it is the combustion. Without the combustion,ecigs are just as safe as tomatoes,potatoes,and tea. What I would like to know is what in the world the Legislators in Tennessee are smoking?

2. Sam Munro June 29, 2011 at 1:37 am #

Going down this rabbit hole to it’s conclusion, eating is our means of energy intake to survive and has obvious medical benefit that you could attribute to it. Not eating = negative medical effect = Death.

What will the future hold?

Food only available through prescription for the local drug store/chemist?

3. Tim January 2, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Potatoes have high nicotine content- is that why French fries are so addicting? Hehe!

4. Rebecca February 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Thankfully this bill was amended to restrict purchase to those over 18 years old. It passed last summer that way.

5. James February 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

So as long as you don’t send kids out to buy vegetables you should be okay?

6. wtf May 27, 2012 at 1:51 am #

Is this a troll site or a joke? I have lived in TN all my life, and I have never once heard about a ban on vegetables, even the nicotine-containing ones. After reading this, I couldn’t even find anything online about it outside of this page.

7. James May 28, 2012 at 9:35 am #

It’s pointing out that for Tennessee to ban all products containing nicotine they would have to ban vegetables, as vegetables contain nicotine.

8. starlyte July 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Could the TN try to keep gaining all the lovely taxes they gain on Cigarettes – smoke type – or were they REALLY concerned for … health? :)

1. Passive Vaping: A Threat to Non-Smokers? - March 15, 2012

[…] that that really matters, because non-smokers absorb just as much nicotine from vegetables as they do from second-hand tobacco smoke: Using limited data on nicotine content of foodstuffs […]