Electronic Cigarette Face Off: Regular E-Cigs v. Refillable E-Cigs

Which is Right for You?

The Smoker's Angel holding a question mark.

The big and ongoing debate in the vaping world is whether you should use electronic cigarette with disposable cartridges, or whether you should refillable electronic cigarettes with atomisers.

The answer is not as simple as many vapers make out, and the right electronic cigarette depends on who you are and what you are looking for.

Regular Smoker’s Halo Electronic Cigarette

One of our customer poses with an electronic cigarette.

Battery Life: You’re just not going to get the same battery life with an electronic cigarette with a battery the size of a regular cigarette. Our standard batteries last around 100-120 puffs – a super tank battery can last up to 600 puffs. What’s more, a more powerful battery means more vapour.

Choice: Our regular e-cigarettes come in tobacco, menthol, cherry, vanilla and chocolate flavour. But with refillable electronic cigarettes the choice is endless.

The Smoker's Halo Standard Kit.

Simplicity:

Screw in.
Inhale.
Enjoy.

That’s really all there is to it – which is one of the reasons e-cigarettes have become so successful.

Close to a regular cigarette: We’ve been selling e-cigarettes since 2008, and time after time we’ve been asked how close e-cigs are to tobacco cigarettes. While it may not be so important to an experienced user, it’s often a crucial deciding factor to new users.

Refillable Super Tank

Claire with a smoker's halo tank.

Atomiser failure: Atomisers don’t last forever – sometimes they last a few days, sometimes a few weeks, but at some point your atomiser will die. It still beats the cost of buying regular refills, though.

Complexity: Dripping, refilling, atomiser maintenance, clearing flooded atomisers – it can be a steep learning curve, and in our experience smokers new to vaping are more likely to be successful with a regular, two-part e-cigarette.

The Smoker's Halo Super Tank

Battery: While new vapers find the weight of a super tank off-putting, longer users love the battery life – which can be up to 6 times longer than a regular e-cig battery.

Choice: If you want to try a vast variety of weird and wonderful e-liquid flavours, here’s your chance – you can put any flavour into a refillable tank.

Conclusion:

If you are new to e-cigarettes, we recommend a regular e-cigarette for a smooth switch from smoking to vaping. But if you are already using e-cigs, and want to experiment with different flavours, it might be time to try a refillable tank!

Agree or disagree, or think I have missed something? Let me know in the comments :)

10 Responses to “Electronic Cigarette Face Off: Regular E-Cigs v. Refillable E-Cigs”

1. Sue May 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

As a newbie Vaper, my first e-cigs looked like standard ciggies, and they were OK but a little harsh in the throat and the refills expensive to buy. They were imported Italian ones and no UK spares fit them, and it put me off for a while. I came across Vaping sites accidentally and decided to try again. As a newbie, I was scared of atomisers, cartridges and cartomisers. But there are loads of video tutorials on the Internet and I was able to find a combination that suited me.

That was an eGo battery with Clearomisers. All you have to do is squirt some e-liquid in a screwtop tank, attach to battery and vape! The battery lasts all day and so does the e-liquid in the clearomiser tank. So it is simplicity itself. The Clearomisers are about £4.50 each and last a couple of weeks. The batteries last about a year.

Also, there is a big advantage to it not looking like a cigarette – you attract far less self-righteous interference from the anti-smoking brigade. But e-cigs are like anything else – what is right for Person A may be hated by Person B. Its all down to individual taste and preference. Its fair to say that there is something for everyone, and that e-cigs are better that ordinary ciggies in every way imaginable.

2. Patricia May 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Hi – I have only tried ecigs (menthol) and am very happy with this system. I have no intentions of ever going back to ordinary cigarettes, in fact when I visit a friend who smokes ordinary cigarettes I find my clothes are saturated by the smell of tobacco which I now find quite disgusting. I suppose when I smoked ordinary cigarettes I smelled just like that – not very nice.

3. David Fleck May 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

I have been Vaping since August of last year,and yes I started with the pen battery with atomizer and cartridge. Like you stated I was burning the atomizers out every few days. I looked around the internet and found some cartomizers. People say that they are disposable but actually they are quite easy to refill and they give a nice full draw to them. I will admit you can only refill them between 6 to 8 times and then they start tasting bad but as long as you do not overfill them they are great.

I sell e cigarettes now. I am working with ten different brands and I market my cartomizers as being refillable. I personally like the looks of the cigarette style ones but when I am out I like the people coming up to me thinking that it is a cigarette because that gives me a chance to educate people on what an e cigarette is.

I have to agree with Sue when she says it all depends on the individual and their taste. :)

4. Allan May 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

I have used both the king size e-cig and the super tank, they are both excellent products. From my experince I found that the regular e-cig was fine most of the time but as it did not always give me the hit I wanted I was still smoking mabey 2 or 3 real cigs aday. I have since switched to the super tank and have been both smoke free and, amazingly, craving free for 4 weeks. I think if you do not inhale deeply on cigarettes the regular kit should be fine, but if you are a deep inhaler I would suggest the super tank. Before discovering e-cigs I had been smoking for 29 years and tried Zioban, gum, patches, inhalators, hynosis over the last 12 years in an attempt to give up, whilst I could stop for a few weeks I was never craving free and would eventually give in and smoke again. I had no expectation that e-cigs would be the answer for me but so far I would say that I have no desire to smoke again. If you are sceptical like me give these a go, they are not a miracle cure and you may have to persavere for a week or two but it is definately worthwhile. If you dont want to quit but want to save money and be healthier these are a god send in my opinion.

5. James May 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

I agree with you Sue – to say one is good and the other is not is not taking into account the user.

6. James May 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Allen!

7. Sue May 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I’d like to add something else. When using my first Gamucci e-cigs that looked like a standard cigarette, I wanted to hold them like a normal ciggie, but it wasn’t comfortable because the battery is heavier than a normal ciggie and the centre of balance is different. I think I held it like that because it looked like a normal ciggie.

When using the eGo battery with a Clearomiser, it had to be held differently, and I quickly learned how to hold it so it felt very natural in the hand. Then I vaped a bit more of the one that looks like a standard ciggie and I held it the way I held the other system, and it felt natural.

So what I’m saying is, if you decide the simple two piece normal ciggie lookalike is the best option for you, you may have to learn to hold it differently in order to feel comfortable with it.

8. James May 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

I think there’s an adjustment period for some people where it feels very strange, but most people adapt very quickly (and some go on to use heavier batteries).

9. James May 12, 2012 at 1:28 am #

@david, you have to be careful with some cartomisers – if they are not designed to be refilled you can get leakage and damage to batteries. We’re planning on bringing in cartomisers that can be refilled, though.

10. James May 12, 2012 at 1:29 am #

@Patricia, yes you don’t notice until you stop smoking. Fresh tobacco smells wonderful, though :)