1. “I understand why people use the nicotine replacement aids, but I don’t understand why people want to pretend that they’re smoking. If you had a serial killer who liked to stab people, would you give him a rubber knife?” Serena Chen
I love this quote, since it’s used by an anti-nicotine extremist and totally proves our point.
Sure, we’d rather murders don’t have a knife at all – but if they are going to have a knife, isn’t it better for them to have a rubber knife rather than a real one!
Source: Mercury News
2. “If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck and it sounds like a duck and it looks like a duck, it is a duck.” Tobacco Free Kids
Hell yeah, forget the dozens of studies conducted by serious experts – let’s just go on appearance!
Source: New York Times
3. “Vapers don’t want the next new flavour, they just want a droplet of nicotine delivered to their lungs.” Jeremy Mean, MHRA
Jeremy Mean at the ECigarette Summit.
If you’re not a vaper, you might agree. If you are, I don’t even need to explain how stupid this statement is!
4.“…there’s no proof that these cigarettes are safe. No proof whatsoever. They are made in China.” Doctor Jonathan Whiteson
So, should we also stop taking antibiotics then? (Nearly everything else is almost completely made in China – except for our UK eliquid ).
Source: CBS News
5. “Less toxic does not mean more healthy for me.” James Reilly, Irish Minister for Health at the EPSCO Press Conference:
6. “While regular cigarettes have a filter, [with] this delivery device the electronic cigarette, the nicotine goes directly to the lungs.” WHO Official
Umm, no it doesn’t, it’s absorbed in the airway passages and the filter is not to stop nicotine, it’s to stop the tar produced when you burn tobacco – which is not present in e-cigs.
Try doing some research before writing world policy?
Source: Philipinno News (on YouTube)
7. “MHRA regulation will not stifle innovation, it will promote it, as it has done with NRT aids.” Jeremy Mean at the ECigarette Summit
8. “It is an offense to distribute or sell any product or device containing or delivering nicotine intended or expected for human consumption that is not a tobacco product…” Tenessee State Government while accidentally banning vegetables.
Source: Tennesse to Ban Vegetables
9. “Ecigarettes contain propylene glycol… an ingredient used in antifreeze in our cars and that doesn’t sound healthy to any of us.” Dana Tyler
Propylene glycol is actually used when a non-toxic anti-freezing property is required, for example in drinking water!
CBS News (quoted on ECigaretteForum).
10. “…nicotine patches are heated (using a heating coil) and the resultant vapor is inhaled” Smokeless Delites
Really? How could anybody think that’s how e-cigarettes work!
Source: Smokeless Delites press release (sadly since removed!) but you can view our original blog post on this topic here.
11. “…because there is not a black market for medicines such as aspirin, there would not be a black market in ecigarettes/ejuice [if eliquid was banned]” Jeremy Mean, MHRA
Mr Mean is fundamentally missing the point. Aspirin is cheap, widely available and is manufactured by pharmaceutical companies.
12. “They [the electronic cigarette] are a product of coercion, who would use them anywhere you could smoke?” Freedom to Choose
In an email following up to our interview with Freedom to Choose in 2011, they stated that e-cigs were a product of coercion. I think we all agree that it isn’t!
13. “…new research shows that nicotine emitted by e-cigs combines with chemicals in the air to form extremely potent cancer-causing chemicals which adhere to surfaces like seats and carpeting where they linger and further expose unsuspecting passengers.” ASH US [Regarding passive vaping]
Professor Siegel later responded: “This is an outright lie. There is no such evidence. No study has ever been done which documents that vaping results in the formation of carcinogens that adhere to surfaces, and no study has ever been done which documents that vaping on airplanes results in the deposition of such carcinogens or to carcinogen exposure among passengers.”
Source: Tobacco Analysis Blog
14. “ECigarettes are a gateway to smoking.” Multiple Sources!
As our infographic shows, e-cigarettes are providing a exit from smoking for most people.
Dumb – but dangerous!
We may laugh at these quotes, but most are made by (mostly unelected) people who have decided they have to right to try and control our lives.
And that’s not just stupid – it’s downright scary.
Know of any more stupid quotes about ecigarettes? Leave them below and I’ll add the dumbest to this post!
The following is from Switchtoecig in the blog comments:
WSJ quoted Dr. Pisinger at the Research Centre for Prevention and Health in Copenhagen as explaining that the e-cigarette industry “is really undermining all the progress we have made in de-normalizing smoking.” Source: WSJ
A Member of European Parliament – “We get a lot of abuse on Twitter about calling for more legislation on electronic cigarettes.”
An MP was sent an e-cigarette, to which another MP commented ridiculously “They are sending addictive drugs to MEPs. It is quite incredible.“
“While evidence is not yet available, e-cigarette use by youth could have negative public health implications. For youth who have never used cigarettes before, e-cigarettes could act as a gateway to a life-long addiction to nicotine.“ – Legacy for Health
“While e-cigs aren’t considered to be real cigarettes, why do both Facebook and Google forbid their manufacturers to advertise on their sites? This leads us to question both the effects and components of this product“ – Ilya Pozin, Forbes Contributor
This one comes from Alisha in the blog comments:
“It’s highly likely many vapers who continue to smoke do so because they’ve convinced themselves that cutting down on cigarettes has significantly reduced their risk.” – Glantz-Down-Under, Prof. Chapman Source: The Conversation
Looking for more ecigarettes quotes? Check out the following posts: