Breaking News: EU Poised to Ban Electronic Cigarettes

Flag of european union

Update: Sign the EU Vaping Petition

According to a leaked memo highlighted in the tobacco analysis blog, and predicted in the past by this blog, the EU is likely to recommend a ban on electronic cigarettes shortly.

The EU plans to ban the marketing of all nicotine containing products which have not been approved as a medicine. This, of course, includes electronic cigarettes.

This is despite extensive research and scientific opinion that the device is likely to be many, many times safer than cigarettes.

The EU will be well aware of this research after presentations made by the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association (ECITA) in Brussels.

No Surprise from an Agency that Tippexes away the Truth

An image of tippex.

The ban will come as no surprise  to those who have followed the smokeless tobacco debate.

Like e-cigarettes, the safest forms of smokeless tobacco is far, far safer than smoking tobacco, and there is decades of evidence to prove the point.

And the EU has disgraced itself in its handling of the debate.

In its effort to ban smokeless debate despite scientific evidence that smokeless tobacco is safe, the EU allegedly rewrote a report on smokeless tobacco removing all positive comments.

When it became apparent that one positive comment had been removed, the agency was said to resort to tippexing (that’s white out for you Americans!) the final positive comment. (Source: Clive Bates, former director of Action on Smoking and Health)

tippex

Want to help share this post? Please click on one of the buttons below.

Tags: , ,

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Breaking News: EU Poised to Ban Electronic Cigarettes”

1. sandi September 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

about time we got out of the EU. who do they think they are telling us what we should do. i agree jeanette petitions the way to go

• James September 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Hi Sandi, I agree, we need to get a petition up!

• Nazeer Bhamji March 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

No study to date has conclusively proven that e-cigarettes are harmful or more harmful than for example nicotine patches. In fact, research has found that they may in fact be more effective at helping addicts quit by addressing both the psychological and physical addition.

From a common sense and logical point of view, there is no reason why e-cigarettes should have any more harmful an effect than any other product containing nicotine such as patches and the like. They all use nicotine in its derived form rather than tobacco form.

Perhaps the reason there has been such a backlash against ecigs is actually due to political and financial reasons rather than any actual evidence. If it is admitted that they are as safe as nicotine patches, there would be no justification left to tax them or remove them from sale. Bad news for the taxman and bad news for the tobacco industry.

For further information see http://www.uniqbuy.com/ecigsafety.html

2. Christine Foster September 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

Hi James, whenever anything new comes on the market there is always controversy somewhere along the line. the EU are’nt worried about our health at all!! They are concerned of the loss of tax revenue from tobacco!!. I gave up tobacco cigs in May because of a horrendous cough which frightened me, and switched to e.cigs. I feel so much better now, my cough is gone and I’m not wheezing at night, and my home smells so much sweeter. I say Bravo to e.cigs..

• James September 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Glad it is working for you, Christine!

3. Linda fawkes September 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Does this mean we will not be able to purchase e cigs

• James September 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Hi Linda, I think it is the marketing that would be stopped, you would still be able to purchase from existing suppliers.

4. Sue C September 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Christine Foster is right, it IS about the money they hope to rake in. They don’t care about the health issues at all. I agree with Sandi – time to get out of the EU.

I switched to vaping at Easter, and my chest is much better as are the lab results for a chronic illness I have. These can’t be faked; and a lab test is objective and scientific.

I regret to say that I am a nicotine addict. I don’t get on with nicotine replacement products prescribed by the doctor, and if I couldn’t vape, I would start smoking again. To take it still further, I could not afford to smoke so I would have to buy smuggled tobacco products.

5. Linda Fawkes September 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I stopped straight away after trying my e cigs! Been stopped over a year! Couldnt stop normal cigs! Happy with e cigs! Would end up smoking again if i couldnt get them!

6. James September 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

Hi Sue, I find it frustrating too with the EU, sometimes I think they are systematically offending every part of the population!

7. James September 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Well done, Linda, hopefully e-cigs will remain available and you won’t have to go back to cigarettes!

8. e-Zigarette Shop September 23, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Eigentlich dachte man die gesamte Sache sei vom Tisch…wie man jedoch sehen kann wird sich die Lage nun doch zuspitzen. Also werden wir ein Impressum außerhalb der EU einpflegen müssen ! Was sollen denn unsere gesamten kunden machen ?! MfG e-zigi

9. Tony September 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

If it is just a marketing ban in the EU, does that mean we can still buy our nicotine E Liquid from the USA and China via the internet etc as I haven’t seen a mention of an import ban into the EU. As if it is just a ban on nicotine products that should mean I can still buy E Liquid from inside the EU but it has to be zero nicotine, and I should be able to buy any hardware and accessories from both inside the EU and from outside.
    Is my assessment on the above correct?

10. James September 24, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Hopefully if it is just a ban on marketing you’ll still be able to buy your products within the UK but companies will not be allowed to advertise it. However, the emphasis on only allowing licensed products suggests that perhaps only large pharmaceutical companies will be able to obtain the licensing it and will sell it through chemists.

11. jayjay September 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

screw EU law, screw big pharma, screw GRATSIO and screw pfizer. all of them have to sentenced like any other criminal!

12. Ian M September 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Christine and Sue have hit the nail on the head its all about money lost through taxation , sounds like the big pharmo companies are behind this because they will be losing out on their not very effective NRT products. I have been vaping for 10 weeks now and the transition from analog to e cigs has been simple and I feel so much better for it my plan is to stop in the future gradually lowering the nicotine content I use. Hopefully I will still be able to get the ingedients I need to make my own e liquid and eventually stop.

13. James September 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

I think so, Ian, Professor Siegel has blogged recently about Pfiezer has made $2.8 million in payments to organisations which campaign against the electronic cigarette.

14. Colin September 26, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

I do not suppose that CIGARETTES are to be banned? This is yet anothe r ill informed, ill thought-out pile of crap from faceless overpaid morons wh cannot decide where to put their unwanted offices!

15. MARK September 26, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Stock up on base nicotine and make ya own juice,if ya don’t know how too then learn,it’s not hard.Totally wicked do it at 54mg and 72mg in 50 and 100ml bottles,lasts a very long time and just buy flavourings..

16. SAL September 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

give e cigs a chance

17. Mikael October 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

With the arguments used to defend EU decisions against e-cigarettes, I guess that EU also have to ban tea, while the water vapor is quite the same.
    And how about deodorants, body sprays and so on. They can also harm people standing next to whom that are using them.
    And any product that looks like a cigarette or e-cigarette might also be banned if the EU politicians against the e-cigarette should be able to defend their argumentations. Then they will have to ban pencils.
    EU has and the politicians have simply reached a stage now, where their arguments no longer make sense.

18. Graham April 12, 2013 at 11:32 am #

It seems that the Pharmaceutical companies want a piece of the action as do the governments. Ban? No, they won’t ban it. It’s too good to be true! A highly addictive substance that’s taxable that won’t kill people.. A ban would only be a last option.

As a prediction, the only producers allowed to mix the ingredients will be the pharmaceutical companies through a sister company to maintain a clean image but the e-liquid will be legally approved and heavily taxable. The tobacco companies will produce the branding and the physical product (B&H e-cigs!!) and eventually shrug off the tobacco products completely.

All this banning stuff is a smokescreen and the EU are desperately trying to maneuver themselves into a position to take your cash through your recreational addiction.

Remember, we are only here to be fleeced….. Werther that’s good for us or will kill us.

Sound about right??

• James Dunworth April 12, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Yes, I am sure that is what the pharmaceutical companies want! In America now some of the tobacco companies are pushing for regulations that will squeeze out small competitors too.

19. William Dyer April 12, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Front page news in the Metro today “9 of out of 10 people quit tobacco via the use of e-cigs!”

Things are heating up! Please show your support for e-cigs by tweeting #EUCigsBan.

@vapeworldwide

• William Dyer April 12, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Sorry the twitter is #EUECigsBan

@vapeworldwide

• James Dunworth April 12, 2013 at 11:45 am #

There was another hastag, but I’ve retweeted several #EUECigsBan posts. Word from ECITA is that we need to keep up the pressure – all the emails to MEPs is helping but we need to keep repeating the message and hitting the same points.

20. Iain Jordan April 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I tried for 30 years to give up smoking it was only when my glands were swelling up due to tobacco smoke irritating my airway to my lungs I thought I had to try harder. I thought that I had throat cancer but just could not stop smoking, so after trying numerous expensive pharma nicotine replacements, tried cold turkey methods nothing worked, I thought I’d give vaping a go. Well it has been over 2 years since I last smoked tobacco, my lungs were cleansed after about a month a lot of dirty mucus from tobacco (it was dark brown), my lungs feel like the way I remember when I was a kid before getting addicted to tobacco.

Like the majority in Britain we are fed up with the EU, the way they encroach on our personal tastes and lifestyles. A corrupt, unaccountable, brave new world organisation that I personally want nothing to do with. This looks like the work of corporate pharmas and tobacco companies bribing EU officials to take away our liberties. I don’t think E-cigs will be banned it looks like they’re about to take control of the supply chains and apply heavy taxes on the products as they are losing a lot of tax revenue from people who have found a way out from terrible effects of tobacco smoking. If you vape you are still addicted to nicotine but you feel safer and healthier. The EU wants you to die in pain and high taxes.

21. Carl Walker May 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

I dont beleive they are illinformed about ecigs. I beleive the EU is totaly wicked!

1. Will Huge EU Tobacco Scandal Affect Electronic Cigarettes? - October 17, 2012

[...] Breaking News: EU Poised to Ban Electronic Cigarettes [...]

2. How Vapers Are Using The Internet to Stop An E-Cigarette Ban - October 21, 2012

[...] recently a leaked document showed that the EU, which rewrote a safety report on Snus to ban it despite decades of evidence [...]

3. Study Finds 74% of Smokers Quit with Ecigs - April 4, 2013

[...] The EU tobacco directive aims to allow a maximum of 0.4% nicotine in electronic cigarettes, which Chris Price of the Electronic Cigarette Consumer Association (ECCA UK) believes would make it would make it useless for about 93% of electronic cigarette users. [...]

4. Vapers Prepared to Change Their Vote to Defend Their Right to Vape - May 7, 2013

[...] of us are heavily involved in a campaign to protect the electronic cigarette from a proposed EU ban, with some MEPs reporting receiving hundreds and even thousands of letters of protest. And, [...]

5. Politicians Fear E-Cigarettes Threaten Tax Revenue, Call for Restrictions - May 15, 2013

[...] better to put a 0.4% limit on the nicotine and pretend it’s not a ban, and that regulations are being put in place to protect children, not penalise smokers (despite the [...]

6. Author of Anti-Ecig Bill Alleged Corrupt, Moves, One Million Dollars - July 2, 2013

[...] year the author of an EU bill which would effectively ban electronic cigarettes was forced to resign after allegedly seeking bribes from a tobacco [...]

7. A New EU Attempt to Ban E-Cigarettes - And How to Defeat It - November 25, 2013

[…] a recent attempt to ban electronic cigarettes in the EU thousands of vapers contacted their MEPs in […]