Smok’s Alien 220 Mod is a formidable device, packing great punch and features into a sturdy feeling and reasonably sized frame.
With it’s large OLED screen displaying all the information you need (Power/Mode/Battery/Volt/Amps/Ohms/PCB Temp/Puff count information are all shown). There’s no need to select different menus, and with only three buttons, the usual steep learning curve is cut out and regular usage is pretty simple.
What’s more, unlike some mods the screen is bright, making it easy to read even when it’s dark (perfect for a late night vape before bed!)
From Flavour Chasing to Massive Clouds
Having both plenty of power and a wide resistance range, as well as temp control, high capacity due to dual 18650’s AND user presets, the Smok gives you great versatility. It’s huge wattage range (up to 220 watts!) means it is is ideal for everything from flavour chasing to blowing some seriously big clouds. Smok even claim it can be used with any tank on earth!
This all makes it great for all manner of vapers, whether you want instant power, long battery life per charge, or you’re wanting to switch tanks regularly with little fuss.
Look and Feel
The Smok Alien is designed to fit the hand, making it comfortable and easy to hold, with a weightiness that adds a pleasing heft to the Alien, making it feel almost indestructible in your hand.
It also comes with a massive power button which nestles comfortably under your finger, or you can flip it and use your fingers to squeeze it into your palm, which is my preferred method. It feels almost organic to use.
User Tips and Guidelines
Installing batteries, switching on and running in power mode is fairly straightforward.
- Slide the hinged battery door to open
- Insert 2 charged 18650 batteries in the directions indicated and close the battery door
- Click the sidebar fire button 5 times to power on
- Attach atomiser and select “New coil? - Y”
- Set the appropriate power for your atomizer, and vape away!
Selecting the separate modes is simple too. Press the power and down buttons (down being the left of the two) simultaneously brings up the menu, press either up or down till you have found your prefered mode, and you’re done.
Going deeper into the options initially is slightly confusing, but easy enough once you get the gist. I am using the power settings as an example.
- Click power button 3 times in quick succession
- Scroll through and select the relevant option(s) Mode/Puffs/Settings/Power
- Hold power button down momentarily (do this to select your preferred options during each step) to access the sub menu
- Select the appropriate option. In this case the options are Watt/Temp/Memory, I’ve selected Watt.
- Select the ‘Strength’ mode (Hard/Medium/Soft) which controls the ramp up.
- With this example you can either hold down the power button for another second to set it, or leave it return to the home screen after approximately 3 seconds.
Having temp mode in 3 materials, stealth mode, a limiting puff counter, and a memory mode to save your settings for various tanks and atomisers, the Smok Alien is a credible and versatile unit, giving you as many options as you could need.