Ever since I read about the man who went to live on a deserted island to try and quit smoking (more on that shortly!), I've been fascinated by the more bizarre ways people have tried to quit smoking. Believe it or not, all of the methods below have been suggested somewhere on the net or used in attempts to quit smoking.Please note: I do not (necessarily) recommend any of the methods below, and in particular I take no responsibility for the actions of angry silver backed gorillas...
1. Self-HypnosisWhen Sheila Sidney Bender's friend wanted to quit smoking, Sheila offered to help. Her attempt to hypnotise her friend ended in failure - for her friend. Two weeks later Sheila noticed that she no longer smoked, or wanted to! 30 years later, she's still off the fags.
2. Lock yourself in a cage with a silver backed gorilla.If you thought ASH (who have called for the death penalty for smokers) were extreme anti-smokers, you never tried puffing in front of a silver backed gorilla. These big bastards are extremely sensitive to smoke. Lock yourself in a small place with them and you'll either be a non-smoker - or dead.
3. Electrocute yourself
4. Use Dave the hypnotic dog to help you stop smokingNuff' said!
5. Say you will quit smoking if one million people like your facebook pageDivert the attention of the world away from caring about stuff like starving children and focus them on something more important - YOU and your inability to quit!
6. Eat your cigarettes.
Some anti-smokers recommend you eat cigarettes to put yourself off them.And this is what happens when you eat one: 7. CastawayRead the full story here!
8. Bankrupt yourself
It doesn't appeal personally, but basically you get rid of all your money and then you have no money to buy fags. Or eat, pay the mortgage, buy a present for your kids e.t.c. but hey, if that's what it takes...Image Source: Wiki Commons
9. Get yourself beaten upAnti-smoker violence is common - and some smokers have even been killed. If you are not willing to wait until someone attacks you out of the blue, why not pay someone to stalk you and beat you every time you take a drag?
10. Accept bribes
No, not from your Mum. The British government has bribed pregnant Scottish mothers to quit - with food vouchers worth £12.50. They've also offered £15.00 vouchers to kids to stop smoking (unfortunately, kids promptly took up smoking just so they could quit and get the vouchers. Stupid government, smart kids.)Twelve quid vouchers sound mean? Well, with the Quit and Win foundation you could win ten thousand dollars for giving up the weed.
10. Stick needles in yourselfOtherwise know as acupuncture. Unlike some of the other methods mentioned here, it can actually work. (Image above from Wiki Commons.)
12. Stick a baby dummy in your gobit works for Liz Hurley!
13. Smoke something else
Replace your tobacco habit with a different smoking habit!
15. Eat dog biscuits
Every time you fancy a fag, eat a dog biscuit. It worked for one girl!
16. Become President of the US
You thought Obama became President of the US to help people? Nope, it was a bet between Michelle and himself - if he could become President he would quit smoking. And he did. Unfortunately, this will only work for only one person every four years, which is a bit of bummer for the other two billion smokers out there...
(It's also rumoured that Obama has vaped an e-cigarette!)
George Michael managed to stop smoking by taking up tweeting. Apparently, it filled in the gap between smoking.Tech Crunch also like the idea - but then they would.