- At a glance
- What's in the box
- Switching on and off
- Variable voltage and variable wattage
- Clearomiser compatibility
- Safety features
What we like:
- Mechanical on/off switch, giving added safety with a completely disconnected battery
- Spring-loaded 510 connection
- Great build quality
- Vibrant colours
- Fantastic brushed aluminium finish
What we’re not so keen on:
- Whilst many find the Cool Fire IV comfortable to hold due to it's shape, others find it a bit awkward to hold
- Battery won’t last the whole day if you vape at 40 watts
- It’s a bit fiddly to change the wattage / voltage - but once you’ve done it once, it remembers your last settings
This device is both powerful and intelligent, offering you:
- Variable wattage (6W - 40W in steps of 0.5 watts)
- Variable voltage (3V - 7.5V)
- 12A maximum output current
- Sub-ohm capability (down to 0.3Ω)
- 2000mAh battery capacity
- Mechanical on/off switch on base
- 3 click lock/unlock
- Multiple power indicators
- OLED display
- Passthrough charging (‘Vape while you charge’)
- A sturdy lanyard hole
- Puff length count & total puff count
- Flippable screen (ideal if you’re left handed)
- Stainless steel 510 thread with spring-loaded connector (eGo adaptor included)
- Multiple safety features
All these features, combined with a quality build, comfortable to hold shape, ease of use, and an aesthetically pleasing design, makes the Coolfire 4 a great all-around vape mod!
- 1 x Innokin Coolfire 4
- 1 x Micro USB charger
- 1 x eGo adaptor Manual
Innokin has ditched the controversial grenade-style design of their previous Coolfires, and has re-emerged with a very impressive-looking box mod. It’s a high-quality build made from lightweight aluminium that is formed to fit your hand comfortably. The brushed aluminium finish and range of colours make the device very aesthetically pleasing.
The Innokin is also moulded to fit the shape of your hand. This improves the comfort and grip on the device, although it's quite subjective - some people like it, but some find it uncomfortable.
A neat little feature of the design that I’ve rarely seen on other box mods is the nifty lanyard hole, which you can use if you want to hang it around your neck for safekeeping.
Located on the side you’ll find a crisp OLED display, a power button, as well as plus and minus buttons. The OLED screen displays the current wattage and voltage, the resistance of your atomiser/coil, and the battery power remaining.
By pressing the plus and minus buttons simultaneously, you can view your puff count since the device was last locked or switched off. If you continue to hold these buttons down, the screen will flip - this is great if you’re left handed!
Before using the Coolfire you must charge the battery for at least 4 hours (ignoring the charge indicator for the initial charge). In the box you’ll find a Micro USB charger (DC 5V/1A) that you can use to charge your new device from a computer, or using a compatible plug adaptor.
Please note: Charging your device with incompatible plug adaptors is dangerous (see our Battery Safety Infographic).
After the initial charge, the device usually takes 2 and a half hours to charge fully from a completely flat battery. If, like me, you’re always forgetting to charge your battery until the last minute, you can also vape while it charges using its passthrough capability. By locating the micro USB port on the side of the device, it allows you to stand the Coolfire upright while it’s charging.
The Coolfire 4 has multiple battery indicators to let you know when the device is running low on power.
The most obvious indicator is the battery icon on the OLED display, but you can also see the voltage remaining by holding down the plus and minus buttons simultaneously. The light around the power button also indicates the power remaining:
- Green: Fully charged
- Yellow: Half charged
- Red: Battery is low. Charge the device
We absolutely adore the new on and off switch Innokin have placed on the base of the device. This is an easy and safe way to turn your device off if you are travelling or storing it for a long period of time. If you’re using it throughout the day, you can also lock the Coolfire by pressing the power button 3 times.
The Coolfire IV allows you to switch between variable voltage and variable wattage mode. To switch to wattage mode hold the power button and the plus button together. Similarly, to switch to voltage mode hold the power button and the minus button together.
The wattage ranges from 6W right up to a whopping 40W in 0.5W increments, whilst the voltage ranges from 3V to 7.5V in 0.1V increments.
To alter the wattage/voltage output hold the plus or minus arrow until the display starts flashing, then release the button and press again to make your adjustment. You can speed up the scrolling by holding the button down.
How do you use the puff counter?
How do you reset the puff counter?
To reset the puff counter, simply lock the device by clicking the fire button three times.
The Innokin has a hard-wearing stainless steel 510 thread with a spring-loaded connection that provides great contact between the battery and vape tank. The device also comes with an eGo adaptor if you’d rather use an eGo threaded tank. For those who love to sub-ohm, the Coolfire is compatible with atomisers down to 0.3ohm. The maximum resistance coil is 3ohm.
Wondering how to sub ohm? Check out our Beginner's Guide to Sub-Ohm Vaping.
For your peace of mind, the Coolfire IV is packed with safety features including low voltage protection, short circuit protection, overheat protection (will display ‘too hot’), over-discharge protection and a 15-second cutoff timer, while the built-in heat dissipation holes further prevents the device from overheating.
Battery won't turn on
A number of people have reported problems with turning the CoolFire on. While this could be a fault (the CoolFire is vulnerable to dropping and bangs) there are a number of things you can try to get it going again. (All of these have worked for me at different times!)
- Ensure the manual switch is on. (This is located on the base of the device).
- If the CoolFire is charging, try removing the charger and then replacing it.
- Try flipping the manual switch to off and then back on again.
Also see general battery troubleshooting tips here.
Error Message: Too Hot
When the internal temperature gets too hot, the battery will give a warning message and/or shut off.
- If you have been using the device heavily, allow it time to cool down.
- If the problem continues, try changing the coil and/or tank.
- If the problem still continues, this is likely to be an error with the CoolFire IV, and you should replace the device. (Warranty is usually 3 months, so if still within this time you should be able to get a replacement.)
Error Message: No Atomizer
90% of the time this is due to a fault with the coil or using a non-compatible coil, and can be remedied by changing the coil.
Occasionally this can be due to an problem with the centre pin making contact, or an internal error which will mean the battery needs replacing.
Anything else you’d like to know? Let us know in the comments!