As I wrote before, on Thursday 29th August our Facebook page TheSmokersAngel was disabled.We lost all contact with over 14,000 friends and customers.
- We had no warning.
- We had no explanation, before or after the event. (However, an agency we work with did have one short reply which you can see here.)
- Facebook continued to take money for adverts which pointed to our page, even AFTER the page had been disabled.
180,000 Fans - Lost in a Minute
During our research, we found other pages have been deleted without warning.
For example, Sitesell's facebook page was removed with 'no warning, no recourse, no explanation.'
Other Facebook pages which have been deleted include The Cool Hunter, which had 180,000 members - all lost in a minute. And a group campaigning against the pub smoking ban was deleted in 2008 - losing all 800,00 members.Update: In the comments below Steve Bell has also pointed out how a non-profit group with 800,000 members campaigning against the ban on smoking in pubs was deleted without warning, explanation or notification.
Sign The Petition
As many of our disappointed Facebook page users have suggested, we have now set up a petition, asking for Facebook:
- to give warning to page admins before a page is disabled
- to explain why a page has been disabled
- to give page admins a chance to make changes to a page that has been disabled so it can be reinstated
We also believe these changes will benefit Facebook hugely. When business owners can be confident that Facebook pages won't be deleted without warning or explanation, they can have confidence about investing time, resources and money into creating a community on Facebook.
If YOU think the same, please join us in our Facebook petiton.
And please, please share this post using one of the buttons below so this petition can reach more people.
If you want to continue to connect with us, we have set up a community page. We won’t be putting any links to discount codes or products, as we can only imagine this was why our page was deleted, but we will answer questions - and hopefully once again have fun talking to other vapers! Check it out here!